I loved pizza as a kid. Probably as much as any other kid. It’s comforting and easy to eat and can be delivered on a whim. It was served at birthday parties and as part of our school’s Book It program. We ate it at the mall and at home. Pizza. Who doesn’t like pizza.
While, in most cases me. Your confused now, as you should be. See, I don’t like tomato sauce. At all. I can’t eat anything with tomato sauce on it. Pasta. Pizza. Mozzarella sticks. Nothing.
So I required special pizzas made with no sauce (I was onto the white pizza trend before it was a trend) or in certain circumstances calzones, which almost never have sauce on, or rather in, them.
I haven’t had pizza in a long time, though I have had a craving for it, and there are plenty of awesome pizza places popping up everywhere. While I could have crossed homemade pizza off my cooking bucket list, I took a different route this pizza themed Sunday Supper.
I made dessert pizza. Coconut Macaroon Pizza. I wasn’t sure how this would turn out, but upon one bite I realized it was pretty much everything and blows savory pizza out of the water.
It all starts with a giant coconut macaroon base. Who doesn’t love coconut macaroons? Okay, people who don’t like coconut, but for the rest of us, this is an awesome start. Then I topped it with apricot jam and popped it back into the oven to get all caramelized. Some homemade hot fudge, dried cherries and toasted pecans round everything out.
I was surprised at how awesome the apricot and fudge worked together- this awesome sweet, tart, bitter combo that is only enhanced by the chewy cherries, crunchy pecans and coconut macaroon that goes from crispy to chewy as you work your way from crust to center.
Plus, this just happens to be gluten free and totally serves a crowd. The next party you have, this needs to be on the menu.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Pour onto the baking sheet and form into a disc about ¾ inch thick, pressing it down slightly. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Spread apricot jam in a thin layer on the pizza and return to the oven for about 5 minutes, until just starting to caramelize. Drizzle with warm hot fudge and sprinkle with pecans and cherries.
- Serve warm or cool completely on pan. Cookie may be store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen in pieces, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about 1 hour or in the microwave 30-60 seconds.
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes! Thanks to Colleen of The Red Headed Baker for hosting!
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.