I used to be a bacon addict. Weekend mornings meant Mom was either microwaving a batch or we were headed to McDonald’s for a fast food sandwich (always on a hamburger bun for me).
Then I went through a very odd phase where I ate bacon and a baked potato most nights for dinner. Definitely not the healthiest time in my life. Luckily it didn’t last long.
Now bacon isn’t among my favorite foods. I enjoy it every now and then, typically not more than a couple times a year. But when I saw this Sunday Supper’s theme of bacon, I knew I wanted to participate with a sweet and savory combo.
Peanut butter is one of those foods I crave and I thought it would pair really well with bacon. I cooked up a pound of artisan bacon, though now I cook it in the oven instead of the microwave. Mom and Dad ate most of it, but a fair portion was reserved for these cookies. I also saved the bacon fat and roasted some sweet potato fries in it. Best. Decision. Ever.
Back to the cookies though. They are my all-time favorite, super peanut buttery, peanut butter lovers’ cookies. These are naturally gluten free and have so much more peanut butter flavor than any other cookies out there. Plus, they are a breeze to make. No big mixers. No chilling the dough. Just cookies asap.
I amp up that peanut butter flavor with Reese’s Pieces. And then there’s the bacon. The bacon flavor permeates the entire cookie. The crispy pieces are a great contrast to the super soft, slightly underbaked cookies. Oh, and then the melty Reese’s Pieces take the cookies totally over the top.
I definitely recommend these hot from the oven or reheated in the microwave. A mound of marshmallows on top is a great choice too.
I definitely see more bacon in my future, even if it’s just in these cookies.
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ cup Reese’s Pieces
½ cup crumbled crispy bacon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, sugar, baking soda, vanilla, and the egg until fully combined. Stir in the Reese’s Pieces and bacon.
Scoop approximately golf ball sized mounds of dough onto the cookie sheet. Bake about 20 minutes, until light golden brown, serve warm or cool completely on the pan. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen, wrapped individually in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the microwave about 30 seconds.
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.