Eggs cracking, the waffle maker beeping, syrup pouring on pancakes. This doesn’t happen in the morning at my house. No, it happens at dinnertime. Don’t get me wrong, I eat breakfast every day, but I pop frozen baked goods in the oven for a treat I don’t have to think about. At dinner, I take time to make something. It’s typically not too elaborate, just a good home cooked meal.
When there’s no fish in the house, red meat doesn’t sound good, and quinoa just isn’t going to cut it, I turn to breakfast staples. Frittatas, poached eggs, toast and jam, pancakes, waffles. These are actually some of my favorite dinner foods. In addition to being super tasty, they are also on the table quickly.
Years ago on weekend mornings, Mom and I would frequently head to a local, now closed, spot called Bean and Bagel. They had great bagels. I always remember splitting a cinnamon raisin bagel with either tuna salad or egg salad with Granny. It was her own personal creation, and though I know it sounds crazy, it was delicious.
They also made egg sandwiches. A bagel of your choice, I usually stuck with plain, and an omelet. But they made the omelets in the microwave.
Years later, after the shop had closed and I almost forgot about the omelet, Mom resurrected it as a quick, but hearty breakfast and I came to love it for dinner. I love using three egg whites or one whole egg and turning it into a fluffy omelet alongside toast, roasted vegetables, kale chips, or even cabbage slaw. While I always use pasteurized eggs in my baking, I love using Eggland’s Best in these, as they stay super tender and fluffy. In addition the cooking vessel can be a little tough to clean, but a little baking soda and elbow grease get them clean in no time.
So the next time you’re looking for a quick, tasty, healthy – no added fat – breakfast or dinner, make a One Minute Omelet in your microwave.
- 3 large or extra-large egg whites
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- In a small to medium microwave safe bowl – glass works best – place the egg whites or egg. Using a whisk or fork, mix until frothy.
- Place in microwave and cook on full power. Cook egg whites for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds until there is no uncooked egg white in the bottom of the bowl. Cook egg for 30-45 seconds until there is no uncooked egg in the bottom of the bowl. The eggs will puff greatly. Immediately move to plate and enjoy.
- Eggs may be seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper or topped with cheese a little more than halfway through the cooking process.