If you know my eating habits well, you know this isn’t my kind of dish. I have never, even liked tomato sauce and I’m not a big fan of chicken.
But I am a big fan of Dad and he enjoys few foods more than a big bowl of pasta with tomato sauce. SO when I saw this Sunday Supper theme of comfort food pasta, I thought of Dad and what he would want me to make.
He works hard and deserves to have more than chicken and salad sometimes, even if he eats more treats than he remembers 😉
It’s important for me to be able to work with foods and build flavors even when I don’t absolutely love a certain ingredient. It was also important that this dish be easy to make, because we all love having dinner on the table with minimal effort and few ingredients.
With some help from rotisserie chicken and jarred tomato sauce, this dish was a breeze to make and by the end of the cooking process, even my stomach was growling, which shocked me. This dish was a huge hit for Dad who took some leftovers for lunch the next day.
I think this pasta dish says a lot more than just comfort food. It says that even though I’m not always the best at showing it, I’m a big fan of Dad.
Oh, and to all you Internet haters who are going to think it’s pathetic and disgusting I made dinner for my dad, what is wrong with you? Go focus on the actual bad people in the world. At the end of the day, when things are the worst, family is all we have and I take pride in the fact that I cherish that connection.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the tomato sauce and water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the broccoli and chicken and cook for 5 additional minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the mozzarella cheese, stirring to combine. There should be pockets of cheesy goodness. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley. Leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until hot.
MUST MAKE MEATY COMFORT FOOD PASTA RECIPES
- Bacon Onion Spaetzle by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Pasta with Kale and Sausage by Simple and Savory
- Chicken Glorioso Pasta Bake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Skillet by Soulfully Made
- Gluten Free Chicken Spaghetti Bake by Cricket’s Confections
- Healthy Homemade Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Homemade Spaghetti Noodles with Stuffed Meatballs by The Freshman Cook
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan by Pies and Plots
- Polish Sausage Macaroni and Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pot Roast Stroganoff by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Ravioli with Prosciutto & Arugula by Gourmet Everyday
MUST MAKE VEGGIE COMFORT FOOD PASTA RECIPES
- Baked Pumpkin Gnocchi with Thyme and Blue Cheese by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Butternut Squash Pasta Bake by Cooking Chat
- Light Fettuccine Alfredo by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sour Cream and Chive Noodles by Palatable Pastime
- Spinach Stuffed Shells by Hardly A Goddess
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.