Up until a few years ago, dinner without meat was pretty much unthinkable. Whether beef, chicken, or pork, my dinner plate was a balance of meat, starch, and vegetables. Then my taste buds changed and my horizons broadened dramatically.
I realized I don’t even really like chicken, beef and pork taste a lot better when eaten less frequently, and even fish doesn’t need to be on the plate every night. Some of my favorite dinners are not only meatless, but also vegan. Quinoa salads, chickpea salads, guacamole, pureed vegetable soups. I crave these foods regularly. My ten year old self would be shocked at my current food preferences.
Because this is primarily a baking blog, almost everything I make is meatless. So for this meatless Sunday Supper, I wanted to challenge myself and make something vegan. I can whip up a gluten free recipe in a heartbeat, but vegan recipes are much more difficult. A lot of recipes just need eggs and/or butter.
Rest assured neither is present in these Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars. These are an awesome on the go breakfast or snack. Though they fell apart a little, their irresistible flavor and soft texture make them a recipe I’ll make again and again. The almond butter and maple syrup shine through, but the orange juice soaked prunes and apricots are the real stars. They are little flavor explosions in your mouth! I’ll be starting many more days with these healthy bars.
Zest and juice of one orange
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
½ cup prunes, chopped
1 cup almonds, chopped
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ cup almond butter
¼ cup canola oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment, leaving overhang for easy removal later.
Place the orange zest in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, stir together orange juice, apricots, and prunes. Set aside to soak while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
In a large bowl, stir together almonds, oats, and cinnamon.
In the same bowl as the orange zest, add almond butter, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir until fully combined.
Pour the orange zest mixture over the oats, and add the dried fruit, leaving excess orange juice in the bowl. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed and the mixture comes together. Press it into an even layer in the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown and set. Cool completely in the pan before slicing and enjoying. Bars may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag. Thaw at room temperature for about 1 hour.
Recipe adapted from The Bojon Gourmet
Don’t forget to check out all the other Sunday Supper dishes!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.