- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 large apples, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups milk (I used almond coconut, use what you love)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut bread slices in half, diagonally, creating triangles. Arrange bread slices and apple slices in a 9 by 13 inch pan, alternating between the two.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger until well combined. Pour over bread and apples.
- In a small bowl, make the topping. Stir together sugar, oats, pecans, flour, and cinnamon. Stir in the butter until clumps form. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole and bake 40-50 minutes, until the custard is set and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with maple syrup if desired. Leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes