I’m behind the times a lot. When I was young I was the last person to learn swear words. Jokes went over my head and the politics of being popular in school just didn’t click with me.
I’d like to think I’ve caught up since then. I try to stay up on fashion and entertainment. I follow news events and consider myself well read. But things always slip past me.
Like Harry Potter.
I remember buying the first book at a grade school book fair, but I couldn’t really get into it. I was probably a little too young. I’d like to go back to the books one day, but for now, I’ve started the movies.
Typically I watch a movie every Friday and Saturday night. Most of the time I find something in the new releases OnDemand, but this week, there were few choices. After scrolling through Amazon and trying to think of something, Mom suggested Harry Potter.
Neither of us were sure we’d like it, but it seemed as good an option as any.
I’m in love and obsessed and I’ve only seen the first movie. It’s smart and funny and cute. It has the right balance of seriousness without being terribly dark. I like the characters and find it reasonably easy to follow. Where have I been all these years?
At least I found it now, I guess. I’ll be finding more time to watch Harry Potter and you need to find some time to make these Apple Crisp Granola Bars. Luckily in the busy holiday season, you won’t have to find much time since these gluten free go to snack or breakfast treats are no bake.
They have all my favorite flavors from apple crisp – apples, oatmeal, cinnamon, nuts – plus a heaping helping of peanut butter. If there’s anything that could make apple crisp better, it’s peanut butter. You will love these chewy, crunchy, hearty, healthy bars. Don’t be late to this recipe 🙂Print
- 2 ½ cups quick cooking oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1 ½ cups puffed rice cereal (gluten free, if necessary)
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ dried apples, chopped
- Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for an additional minute. The mixture should be bubbling. If it is not, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the vanilla, followed by the oats, cereal, and cinnamon. Once well combined, stir in the walnuts and apples.
- Pour into the prepared pan and press firmly into an even layer. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to overnight. Using a sharp, preferably serrated knife, cut into bars. Bars may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about an hour.
Additional chilling time is necessary
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes