This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SingWithPost #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
You all know I am a movie junkie. I write screenplays and am so hoping you all will get to see one of my scripts on the big screen one day soon, and I watch movies all the time. I have old favorite playing in the background while I write and bake and take photos and I try to watch at least two new to me movies every week.
Movies are really special because they make us feel. They inspire us and make us laugh and cry and bring us together in ways we might not expect. The experience of watching a great movie for the first time whether in the theatre or at home is unparalleled.
While my favorite movies are all over the place in terms of genres, I have a serious weakness for animated flicks. Perhaps it’s because it brings out the kid in me and reminds me of those simpler days, but it’s also because today’s animated movies are outstanding.
And while I haven’t seen it yet, I have no doubt SING is going to be a new favorite. It looks so uplifting and is all about following dreams – that sounds perfect for me!
When I’m watching movies, I love to have a snack. Who doesn’t? These Apple Crumble Bars totally fit the bill. What makes them even more special than typical apple bars is that I incorporated Honeycomb cereal into the crust and topping and Honey Bunches of Oats Almond into the topping.
Post cereals have a wide variety of cereals, so at least one is sure to suit everyone’s tastes. Plus, that variety means there are always a few options from breakfast to snack to dinner and dessert. Cereal is good for so much more than eating with milk in the morning.
The crust on these bars is like an awesome shortbread but with so much more flavor thanks to the cereal and some cinnamon. The apples are tender but not mushy and have more cinnamon for that warm spice and fresh lemon juice for balance. The topping might be my favorite with walnuts that that Honey Bunches of Oats in big clusters. I couldn’t stop at just one of these bars and I bet you can’t either.
Plus, right now select Post products have special packaging for SING. You can use the information on these boxes to enter the SING National Sweepstakes for a chance to win $100,000 or movie tickets. To enter all you have to do is enter codes found on the specially marked boxes into the sweepstakes website.
Be sure to head to Walmart and pick up a few boxes on Post cereal like I did!Print
Crust and Topping
- 1 ½ cups Honeycomb, crushed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Almond
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 heaping cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13-inch pan.
- Make the crust and topping. In a large bowl, stir together Honeycomb, flour, salt, cinnamon, sugars, and ¾ of the melted butter. Stir until clumps form. Press ¾ of this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Add the Honey Bunches of Oats, walnuts, and remaining butter and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the filling. In a large bowl, stir together apples, cinnamon, ginger, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice until fully combined. Pour onto the crust and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown, filling is bubbling, and apples are tender.
- Cool bars completely in pan before cutting and serving. Bars may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or frozen individually, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag, for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about an hour.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes