Warm food is eternally comforting. Even when it’s 100 degrees outside, I still find myself craving a steaming hot bowl of soup or a sizzling steak or a cookie molten from the oven. I can’t help it, that food warms my soul, even when my body is already warm.
But, I often think the combination of warm and cold is even more comforting than food on its own. Think about it. That soup often craves a dollop of sour cream or a squeeze of lemon. The steak is that much better with a crisp salad next to it. And the cookie is calling out for some ice cream to melt all over it.
When we’re talking dessert, there are few dishes that aren’t improved with a scoop of classic vanilla ice cream. Pie. Cake. Cookies. Brownies. And definitely Bananas Foster.
Bananas Foster is such a classic dish and happens to be one of Mom’s favorites. I can’t believe I haven’t posted it yet. Not only is this easy to make for when a sudden dessert craving strikes, but it’s also gluten free. Plus, it’s kind of a little healthy. I mean it has a lot of fruit in it and ice cream has calcium, right??? 😉
This dish is certainly wonderful on its own. It invites you to taste it with the smell of the caramelizing butter, sugar, and bananas. If you want to gild the lily, though, add some vanilla ice cream. Some of it melts into the sauce, some doesn’t. It’s cold and warm and pretty much everything.
When the winter blues strike, I’ll be making more Bananas Foster to brighten my day, and you should too.Print
- 2 large, ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- Heat a large skillet, stainless steel or nonstick, over medium heat. Once hot, add the butter and sugar and cook until melted. Add the bananas and cook, stirring frequently 3-4 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the rum. I did not light it on fire to burn it off, because I was too scared and didn’t mind the additional flavor. Use your discretion with this step.
- Place the pan back over the heat and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce reduces slightly.
- Serve immediately with ice cream.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes!
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.