When I saw this Sunday Supper theme of meatballs, I had no idea what to make. I’m not a fan of traditional meatballs because I don’t like tomato sauce. I haven’t liked it since I was born. Not on pizza. Not on pasta. I was a fan of a white pizza before it was cool.
Sure a riff on meatballs crossed my mind, but then I thought about dessert. And how much I wanted to bake some brownies. And how I wanted to make something that was fun. Something that allowed my inner child to come out and forget about the pressure and stress of life.
So I made meatballs. With brownies. And spaghetti. With frosting. And sauce. With cherries.
Even if you like regular meatballs, you have to admit dessert meatballs sound pretty crazy awesome. And they really do look a lot like meatballs, but they don’t taste like them.
I started with the brownies I shared earlier in the week, but feel free to use your favorite brownie recipe. One with frosting is going to work the best to make sure the meatballs stick together. Think of the frosting as the egg and breadcrumbs.
Once all my meatballs were rolled, I piped frosting onto my plate. I did use store bought frosting just because I needed so much, but feel free to make your own buttercream. I placed the meatballs on the spaghetti and topped them with the cherry sauce. Make sure everything is cooled before assembly … or the noodles will melt!
The brownies are great on their own, but with the frosting and cherries, they are even better. The flavors blend well with the hint of tartness from the cherries really making the whole dish sing. Plus, this is fun to make and eat. And life should be a lot more fun.Print
- ½ recipe Fudgy Frosted Brownies, or your favorite brownies
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 2 cups pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Make the cherry sauce. In a small saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes, until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Crumble the brownies up and roll them into golf ball sized balls. I did this while they were warm, but I don’t know if that matters. Allow to rest while you pipe the spaghetti.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag or zipper bag with the very tip cut off. Pipe squiggles all over a plate. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Place the meatballs on the frosting. Top with the cherry sauce.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Don’t forget to check out all the other Sunday Supper dishes!
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Stew from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement