- 3 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup light corn syrup or Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ stick unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, salt, and syrup over medium heat. Stir the mixture frequently until the sugar is dissolved. Once this happens stop stirring. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and bubble vigorously until it is golden brown and fragrant. As stated above if using Lyle’s this is more difficult to accomplish. Be sure not to overcook the caramel; it is very easy to burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the heavy cream. Stir vigorously to combine it and scrape any hard bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the vanilla and butter and stir to combine. If the caramel is a little too light or clumpy, put it back over the heat for a moment or two while stirring. Caramel may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week in a bowl tightly covered with plastic wrap. It may be rewarmed in the microwave before using.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins