Dad never used to be much of a sweets eater. He’d devour potato chips, Cheeze-Its, and other savory snacks, but pass on dessert. I didn’t mind. We all like different things; plus, it meant more for me, right?
His taste buds have since changed. Now he loves dessert almost as much as me. Maybe it’s because I bake so many treats that look delicious and make the house smell like a bakery, so he can’t resist. Maybe it’s his old age 😉 Sorry, Dad! Perhaps he just takes his job as taste tester seriously. Regardless, in his world, desserts have become equal to salty snacks, if not surpassed them.
Even when we go out to eat, he frequently orders dessert. The thing is, he usually orders chocolate. Chocolate cake, chocolate tart, chocolate ice cream. Lots and lots of chocolate. You probably remember I’m allergic to chocolate, and so the house is a chocolate free zone. Mom is kind enough to abstain from chocolate, but Dad clearly doesn’t feel that responsibility, taunting me with each gooey, chocolaty bite he takes.
It only drives me . . . and my taste buds . . . a little crazy. But I wanted to satisfy Dad’s obvious chocolate cravings and mine as well, without sending me into an allergy attack. So this Father’s Day, I made Carob Chip Cookies.
I took a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe and swapped out the chocolate chips for carob chips. These cookies are easy to make, huge, and totally satisfied my chocolate craving (and Dad’s too). Happy Father’s Day, Dad! I hope you enjoy the day and maybe another batch of these cookies.Print
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups carob chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together butter and sugars until combined. Mix in the egg and egg yolk, followed by the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir just until a dough is formed. Add the chips and stir to distribute throughout the dough.
- Using a regular sized ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Pick up each scoop and pull it into 2 equal halves. Rotate the top half 90 degrees and with the jagged surfaces facing each other, push the halves back together to form one cookie. Once you have done this with all the cookies, refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a second baking sheet with parchment. Space the cookies out as far apart as possible using both baking sheets. Bake about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the cookies are light golden brown and starting to harden around the edges, but still underdone in the center. Serve cookies warm or cool completely on the trays. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about an hour or in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Recipe adapted from Baking Illustrated via Brown Eyed Baker
Additional chilling time is necessary
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.