Do you eat differently depending on the season? I don’t think I used to much, but now I definitely do. For one, I try to eat seasonally. Right now, I can’t get enough peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries, blueberries, Vidalia onions, local kale, local cucumbers, and all kinds of fresh peas. I wish I could eat these foods year round, but they’re simply not available.
I’ve also found that I want to eat lighter meals that don’t heat me up or my kitchen too much. I don’t want to feel weighed down by heavy foods, so I place my focus on bright flavors.
Quick meals are another priority lately. It’s far more important to me to take a walk and enjoy the weather than stand over the stove cooking all day long. Summer’s only here for so long and life is flying by so taking time to literally smell the roses is a central part of summer living.
But I still want homemade meals that taste fantastic and satisfy me. That’s why salads have been my go to dinner. Sometimes I pair them with wild, oven-roasted fish, pan seared steak, or poached eggs, but others I let the salads speak for themselves. This Cauliflower Avocado Salad can easily stand alone or be paired with your favorite protein.
I love the almost creamy steamed cauliflower paired with crunchy raw onion and creamy avocado. The slightly acidic dressing soaks into the cauliflower and makes my taste buds sing with just a bit of heat from the pepper and turmeric (which I always add to salad dressings for their anti-inflammatory properties). If you don’t like your dressing with a little pucker, feel free to add a little more extra virgin olive oil. You could also add your favorite vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, or zucchini. In addition, some cooked grains like quinoa or bulgur would be welcome. Regardless of what spin you put on it, your summer needs this super healthy, vegan, and gluten free salad.Print
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces and steamed
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper, turmeric, and honey. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Taste the dressing and adjust the level of seasoning, honey, and olive oil as desired.
- Add the warm cauliflower, avocado, and onion, and stir to fully coat with dressing. Serve as is or with your favorite protein.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes