What do you do when you can’t sleep? The other night I had a bit of trouble and tossed and turned and moaned and groaned until I finally passed out into a light sleep which left me waking up every other hour or so.
But it was a night about a month ago that left me completely and totally unable to sleep. We had gone to dinner and were out rather late. I also had one alcoholic drink and a couple cups of coffee. I was wound up from an exciting night and stressed about other things on my mind. It was the perfect storm to leave me unable to drift off to dreamland no matter how tightly I closed my eyes.
Coincidentally Mom couldn’t sleep either. This is a more normal circumstance for her, while for me it is an anomaly that leaves me feeling totally off my game.
After awhile we both gave up and watched TV. First we finished Bloodline. Have you watched it? SOOOOOO good! In fact when episode ten ended and there were no more, I kind of had a meltdown. Only ten episodes? Complete torture!
Then we finished a movie and started in on the OJ Simpson documentary as the sun rose and began pouring in the windows, striking just perfectly so it hit and warmed me gently.
While I definitely don’t want to make this whole no sleep thing a regular occurrence in our house, I have to admit that it wasn’t bad. In fact, it was almost, kind of, sort of enjoyable.
I don’t know how that is possible, but there’s something about being up when most of the rest of the country is asleep and just enjoying life for a bit with no responsibilities or to do lists weighing on you. Seeing the sky go from dark to lighter and lighter was something pretty special too.
You know what else is special? These Fish Taco Burgers. I worked with Trident Seafoods a bit ago and discovered these Pollock burgers. They are so easy to prepare, gluten free, and one of my favorite quick dinners.
I really enjoy jazzing them up and adding my own flavors. So before cooking the burgers in the oven, I seasoned them with my homemade taco spice. After cooking, I served them with corn chips on a big piece of Bibb lettuce with onion, fennel, avocado, and tons of fresh herbs.
I really love anything taco or taco inspired with a quick chimichurri too. It adds moisture and tons of vibrant flavor. Together, all the flavors and textures work great and make this light, healthy, gluten free meal, perfect for those busy summer weeknights.Print
- 4 Pollock burgers
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, washed
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 large haas avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed, large stems removed
- 1 bunch parsley, washed, large stems removed
- Hot sauce, for serving
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Make the spice mix. In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander, pepper, and pepper flakes. Generously season both sides of the Pollock burgers with the mix.
- Place the seasoned burgers on aluminum foil and cook in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for 10 additional minutes. Then increase the oven to broil and cook for 1-2 minutes, keeping a close eye, just to brown the tops of the burgers slightly.
- While the burgers cook, make the chimichurri. In a medium bowl, combine garlic, vinegar, oil, and pepper. Allow flavors to blend while burgers cook. Add herbs, onion, and fennel if desired.
- Serve the burgers on the Bibb lettuce with the onion, fennel, avocado, and herbs. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired and use chimichurri for dipping.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe is easily doubled or tripled
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes!
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.