Note: This recipe was originally published on July 23, 2013. I updated the photos and recipe. It is one of my favorites and I wanted to make sure it is on your baking list!
Fireflies are another perk of summer. As if fresh fruit and vegetables, longer days, sunshine, warmth, and flowers weren’t enough, there are those majestical little bugs literally lighting up the night sky. I love seeing them fly around. Even when I’m having a less than stellar day, one flash from a firefly and I can’t help but smile 🙂
When I was younger, I would sometimes go outside and catch them. I was pretty terrified of bugs (who am I kidding – I still am!), so clasping my hands around one was accompanied by lots of shrieking and wincing, as though this harmless little bug could actually do any damage to me. No jars were involved, no bugs harmed in the midst of my summer fun. I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself.
The days of catching fireflies are long gone in my world, though it would probably do me some good to cut loose and head outside to recreate part of my childhood. Regardless, I am no less fascinated by fireflies today than I was then. This year there seem to be more than ever before. Just a moment or two of looking out the window reveals at least a dozen of them making their presence known. Some even come right up to the window to say hi! I become a total dork and say hi right back, hoping they’ll flash again. I love fireflies – they are truly amazing!
These Flourless Triple Peanut Butter Cookies are also pretty amazing. Taking flourless peanut butter cookies to a whole new level, these are full of peanut butter chips and Reese’s Pieces – two of my favorite things. Dangerously easy to make, I can’t tell you how much I love these cookies hot out of the oven. I crave them constantly. Give them a try and you’ll crave them all the time too!
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups mix ins like Reese’s Pieces, peanut butter chips, carob or chocolate chips, white chocolate – the sky is the limit!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together peanut butters, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, and eggs until well combined. Stir in the mix ins until distributed.
- Scoop golf ball sized portions of cookie dough and roll them into balls. Press gently to flatten slightly. Leave space for spreading between the cookies. It is best to bake half at a time unless you have a double oven. They do not do well on the bottom rack in the oven.
- Bake about 15 minutes until golden brown and firm around the edges, but still gooey in the middle. Serve warm or cool completely on the pan. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the microwave about 1 minute.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes