I’m a bit of a cereal addict. Mom and I are the only people who eat cereal in the house and there are at least ten boxes in the pantry. Yep, you read that right. Ten boxes. But constantly eating cereal with milk and maybe a banana for breakfast can get a bit boring after awhile. I need some cereal variety in my life.
Luckily cereal is one of those foods that is super versatile. Depending on the variety, it can be used to coat chicken or fish, to top a casserole or macaroni and cheese, or for baking. I absolutely love baking with cereal. There’s something fun about it that almost always brings me back to childhood, when life was simple and cereal for breakfast or a lunch box surprise at school was all I needed to be instantly happy.
All kinds of heart healthy sweet treats can be made with cereal (in fact, stay tuned for a scrumptious granola bar recipe coming up!), but today I bring you cookies. Not just any kind of cookies, but healthy cookies. Cookies that are meant to be eaten for breakfast. That’s right, cookies for breakfast! Cookies that you can feel great about eating for breakfast.
It’s so important to get a good, heart healthy start to the day, which led me to create Fruity Pebbles Breakfast Cookies to help celebrate American Heart Month. They are full of super healthy rolled oats, which add fiber, protein, and iron to the cookies and help to lower that pesky cholesterol. Peanut butter adds some more protein and super healthy fats. There’s some pure maple syrup for sweetness, and one egg to bind. But eggs aren’t the bad guys they are often made out to be. In fact, they are often called the perfect protein and are an important component of a healthy diet. Plus, there’s the star: Fruity Pebbles! They happen to be gluten free, so if you use gluten free oats, these cookies are gf friendly!
The resulting cookie, is soft and moist in the center with a bit of crunch on the outside. The peanut butter flavor really comes through with a hint of maple syrup in the background and plenty of that bright Fruity Pebbles flavor I crave on a regular basis. Make a batch of these and freeze the leftovers for quick weekday breakfasts!
Walgreens is the perfect place to pick up a box of Fruity Pebbles or your other favorite Post cereals. It’s perfect one stop shopping to pick up cereal and any other little things you might need. When I was there, I stocked up on candy too!Print
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup Fruity Pebbles
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, Fruity Pebbles, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, stir together peanut butter, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla until well combined. Add oat mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Using a regular sized ice cream scoop, scoop cookies onto prepared pan. Bake for about 15 minutes until cookies are golden brown and just set. Cool completely on pan. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag. Cookies may be thawed at room temperature for 1 hour or in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes