This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SpreadTheHeat #CollectiveBias
I eat a ton of salmon, especially in the summer when wild salmon is plentiful whether king or sockeye. I only eat wild salmon because I know it is better for you than farmed salmon and the flavor cannot be beat.
But with eating so much salmon, it is easy to get bored, so I am always looking for new and exciting ways to jazz it up. Luckily, Smucker’s is here with a new product that just like wild salmon, is better for you. I checked out the new Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Strawberry Jalapeno Fruit Spread. There are other fun flavors to check out as well, and I can’t wait to do so.
The Strawberry Jalapeno has a wonderful balance of flavor with the sweet yet tart strawberries and the punch of spice from the jalapeno. Plus, it is made with honey instead of sugar. I love using honey as a sweetener because it brings flavor instead of just sweetness.
Even better, right now you can earn $1.00 off Smucker’s Fruit and Honey Spread. Woo hoo! I am going to pick up another jar on my next trip to Walmart.
When paired with the salmon the spread gets slightly caramelized and really complements the flavor of the salmon without overshadowing it with too much sweetness or spice. I think it also added extra moisture, making the fish super tender.
I wanted a light summer side that would echo the flavors in the spread so I made a strawberry salsa. This salsa is full of fresh ingredients: strawberries, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, and jalapeno, a lot of which I picked up at the farmers’ market.
The salsa, which is really like a spicy salad, is so refreshing. The weather has been really hot here, so it is the perfect addition to the salmon to keep the dish from feeling heavy.
Whether you are making this for family or serving it for a dinner party, Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Strawberry Jalapeno Fruit Spread as well as this salmon and salsa, is sure to be a huge hit. Plus, it is easy to prepare and gluten free so all your guests will be able to enjoy it.Print
- 2 pounds wild salmon, king or sockeye
- ½ cup Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Strawberry Jalapeno Fruit Spread
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and parchment.
- Once the oven is hot, place the salmon on the lined baking sheet and smear the spread evenly on it. Bake for about 30 minutes, until fish is just cooked through.
- While the fish cooks, make the salsa. In a large bowl, stir together onion, cucumber, strawberries, tomatoes, jalapeno, and salt and pepper. The salsa may also be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to marry.
- Once salmon is cooked, serve immediately with salsa. If you want to crisp the skin, return it to the oven for about ten minutes, but keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn’t burn. I absolutely love the skin this way.
Recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes