- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa or carob powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup carob or dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk (I used skim – use what you love)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa or carob powder, cornstarch, cinnamon, chili powder, egg, and carob or chocolate chips.
- Place the pan over medium heat and whisk in the milk. Continue whisking until the mixture comes to a boil. Allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens significantly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla. Continue whisking until the butter is completely melted.
- Pour into serving vessels and place into the refrigerator until chilled, at least 4 hours. You may cover it with plastic wrap if you wish to prevent a skin from forming. Garnish with additional cinnamon or chili powder if you’re adventurous and serve. Pudding may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Additional chilling time is necessary
Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Paper
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes