I had a very good and very bad day awhile ago. I don’t want to get into specifics, but it left me feeling very off. While when I was a kid I probably would have simply fallen asleep, now I knew this wasn’t going to happen.
I still sleep well most of the time (knock on wood), but when things get on my mind, I am out too late, or consume caffeine or alcohol too late, sleep just doesn’t want to happen.
And I need my sleep. I need it every night. Seven or eight hours. Or you don’t want to be around me. Really. Trust me. Ask Mom. I need sleep. On this night in particular, I needed some to reset my mind and body, to give me some peace.
I tossed and turned for a few hours, before giving up and turning on the TV. I finished Storks which I liked, particularly given the circumstances. And then I headed to Netflix and Gilmore Girls.
I never watched Gilmore Girls when it originally aired and Mom and I just recently started it and are not quite half way through season 1.
I really like Gilmore Girls. It’s a good show with relatable characters with normal problems. It’s both a break from the high tension shows so common these days and a bit boring because of the expectations those shows have created.
I turned it on because I thought it would help me go to sleep.
I promise. I really like it.
And it did make me go to sleep.
I’ve watched episodes since and haven’t nodded off. But right then, it was what I needed and solved my problem.
Forget Ambien, I’ll take Gilmore Girls.
And in the morning, I’ll chow down on some of these Mocha Bliss Balls for a healthy jolt of energy and nutrition. They are easy, and dare I say fun, to make, gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free, and totally addictive with the chew of the dates and the crunch of the chia seeds. I even think Lorelai and Rory would like them 🙂Print
- ½ cup dates, packed
- ½ cup hot coffee
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons carob or cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- Additional hemp and chia seeds and carob or cocoa powder for rolling
- Soak the dates in the hot coffee.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond meal, coconut flour, carob or cocoa powder, hemp and chia seeds, and ground turmeric.
- Mash up the dates with your hands and place them into the bowl with the dry ingredients, squeezing out most of the excess liquid. Add the coconut oil and mix with a spoon, or your hands – they are really the best tool. Until a sticky paste forms. If it is not quite coming together, add some of the date soaking liquid. If you don’t use it all, drink it. It’s delicious!
- Form the mixture into about golf ball sized balls and roll in your choice of topping. Balls may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.