This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
Ever since I can remember, meatloaf has been a staple in our house. As a little kid, I’d look forward to those ketchup drizzled loaves, one or two of which were all mine. And then cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day were the best. Now it’s even better because I make it with Post cereal.
My love of meatloaf endures to this day, though I have switched things up a bit, with Mom’s blessing, of course. The main change I made was to swap pout the saltines Mom used for cereal. Now you can switch up the cereals, but my new favorite is Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s.
This is one of the newest cereals from Post that I picked up on my most recent trip to Walmart along with Berry Colossal Crunch. I hear they have Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch cereal as well. I’ll have to check that out next time! Post cereals are some of my favorites because they have so many flavors so that everyone is happy.
Plus, cereal is good for so much more than breakfast. Don’t get me wrong, I love it for breakfast and have already enjoyed cereal as a way to kick off my day a couple times this week. But cereal for a snack or worked into meals is even better.
So, back to this meatloaf. If you are thinking cereal in meatloaf is weird, it’s not. It adds so much texture and nutrition. The Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s Almond Crunch in particular is fab because it adds just a hint of sweetness and the nuts keep their great crunch. For the most part though, unless you are really looking for the cereal, it blends right in to the meatloaf just like any other binder you might normally use.
I kept Mom’s tradition of making individual meatloaves because they cook quickly and everyone wants their own little loaf. However, I do use an 80/20 blend of meat to make sure the meatloaf stays super moist and tender. No one wants dry meatloaf.
I know you will love this meatloaf. The next time you are out, pick up all the ingredients, including Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s. Your family will thank you!Print
- 2 pounds ground chuck or similar 80/20 blend
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup ketchup, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s, lightly crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, eggs, ketchup, Crunch O’s, onion, salt, and pepper. Combine until well mixed. Be sure not to overmix. While a spoon may eventually do the job, hands are really the best tool in this instance.
- Divide mixture into 8 roughly equal portions. Form each portion into a football shape and place onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle a little ketchup on each meatloaf. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave.