Sometimes I find the simplest things are the best things.
I still love stuffed animals and most of the time they are my favorite gifts instead of shoes and clothes and jewelry. They make me happy and bring me comfort and make everything seem okay.
Receiving a card in the mail, particularly an unexpected one is THE BEST. I really love writing them too, but come on, is there anything that beats a fun mail day. You know one that includes more than credit card offers, circulars, and catalogues? Cards and postcards are the best and are cherished in this house more than the senders could ever know.
I love simple food too. Wild fish is one of my all time favorite healthy indulgences. And you want to know my favorite way to prepare it? Plain, baked in the oven. No need for salt and pepper and spices and butter and oil. Just the pure flavor of some of the purest food on the planet.
The same goes for fruit and vegetables. I have eaten my weight in cherries, peaches, and blackberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, and kale. And a lot of the time, they don’t need anything on them. They are nature’s beauty in food form, nourishing us from the inside out with their awesomeness.
Simple desserts can be pretty freaking awesome too. Like vanilla cake with little vanilla bean flecks in it. Sugar cookies that are super buttery. Good old fashioned apple pie with the perfect amount of cinnamon. And Peaches and Cream Icebox Cake.
I had never made or even eaten an icebox cake before this. But it certainly won’t be my last foray into icebox cakes. This was so fun and easy to make with one three components: whipped cream, peaches, and cookies. I used gluten free animal crackers.
I can’t believe how those few things added up to a decadent, refreshing, summery cake. Your Labor Day totally needs this. What a better way to send off summer (unofficially, I’m hanging onto it until the bitter end) than a cold dessert that can be made ahead and features peaches?
Also, if you have a minute, check out my Instagram only giveaway. There will be three winners, each of whom will receive one copy of Katy Perry’s newest CD, Witness.
Who’s excited for the VMAs tonight??? I am so to share my excitement, I’m giving away three copies of Witness by Katy Perry in my first Instagram only giveaway!!! Three winners will each receive one copy of Witness and entering is super easy. To enter: 1. Follow @piesandplots 2. Like this picture. 3. Tag two friends who love Katy Perry. That’s it! Giveaway is only open to those 18 and older who live on the US. Void where prohibited. Giveaway ends 9/3/2017 at 11:59 pm ET. #giveaway #win #prize #katyperry #katycats #witness #witnessthetour #witnessthealbum #mtv #vmas #music #dance #sing #danceparty #cd #fashion #style #outfit #ootd #ootdshare #fancy #designer #luxury #fun #entertowin #instagramonly #katycat #greatprize #greatprizes
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 3 large peaches, sliced (peeling is up to you)
- Animal crackers (or other cookies of your choice like shortbread or butter cookies)
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks, using a hand or stand mixer, or doing it by hand because why not??? Add the vanilla and sugar and beat to combine.
- On a serving plate, spread a thin layer of cream. Top with crackers, more cream, peaches, more cream, and so on. If you want, some layers can include both peaches and crackers. This is your creation and there is no wrong way to do it.
- Finish with cream on top and garnish with a few nice peach slices and crackers. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight before serving. Cake may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Additional chilling time is necessary.