Have you ever stared at a word so long it starts to look strange? Maybe this is just a writer thing, but I have a feeling it’s not. I have a feeling it’s something we can all relate to.
Whether you are typing an email or blog post or reading a book or magazine, it happens out of nowhere. A perfectly normal word will catch your eye. Perhaps you are tired or distracted, your mind racing with ideas and thoughts and worries, staring at something instead or really reading or typing it.
If you stare just long enough, a common word, something you’ve seen a million times, starts to stand out. It practically morphs right in front of your eyes. It changes from that innocent little word to a menacing term toying with you.
First it tries to convince you it’s spelled wrong. And then the spelling no longer matters. Spelled right or wrong, it just looks weird. It’s like how is this a word, a common word, something I say and write all the time? It looks like a jumble of letters that doesn’t make sense in the least. Except it really does.
It’s our brain’s way of showing us who is boss, who is in control, who can turn our worlds upside down whenever it feels like it by turning our words, our lives, into a messy jumble.
This happened to me this morning when writing “krispies.” It’s a word we have all grown up with. Though it was only truly made a word by Kellogg’s sometimes that’s how things go. Words become words out of labels and trends and shorthand. It’s a word as far as most of us are concerned in our daily lives, but this morning, I swore I was staring at another language. It’s the snow getting to me, clearly.
There is nothing strange about these Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats. I love putting the flavors of peppermint bark into different treat and these are even better because they are super easy to make. The chewy treat in all its minty glory is perfectly matched by the snap of the chocolate (or carob in my case, which I promise is actually really tasty!). These are an awesome Christmas treat!Print
- 1 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- ½ stick unsalted butter, cubed
- 4–5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Peppermint Crunch Andes Mints
- 2 cups carob or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or oil
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Stir in the cereal, one cup at a time, until the mixture is firm but still super sticky. I love gooey cereal treats!
- Stir in the mints and pour into the prepared pan. Press very firmly into the pan. Allow to set completely, about 2 hours. Once firm, cut into squares.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate or carob chips and the shortening or oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Dip the bottom and part of the side of each of the cereal treat squares into the chocolate. Place on parchment paper to set.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Treats may also be wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about an hour.
Additional cooling time is necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes