I’m a little too excited for the Oscars tonight. I can’t wait to watch E!’s red carpet coverage to see all the dresses. Fashion is one of the best parts of the show. I dream every year about which dress I would wear if I was attending. Which for the record, I will be one year soon. This year, the finale dress from Zac Posen’s recent runway show is kind of calling my name. It’s gorgeous.
Then there’s the show. I know Neil Patrick Harris will be an amazing host. He is so multitalented. I love hearing really inspirational acceptance speeches too. It’s so interesting that sometimes the best ones come from the people I don’t know. You know, the sound mixers and costume designers.
I have seen a few of the movies this year. Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Theory of Everything, Gone Girl, The Judge. I may have to check out Birdman before the show. I really loved The Theory of Everything and Eddie Redmayne’s performance. I will never understand how an actor can immerse themselves in these roles. They are so talented.
I know you want a snack while you watch the show that can be incredibly long. I have the perfect one for you: Popcorn Puppy Chow.
Anytime we’re talking about movies, I immediately think of popcorn. But I had to do something fun with it. Puppy Chow is always a hit, and when combined with popcorn, it is a combination so addictive, you’ll devour it while you wait for the Best Picture winner to be announced way after your bedtime.
The nutty peanut butter really shines through and adds some creaminess to the crunchy popcorn. A no bake, gluten free snack just like this is exactly what Oscar night needs.Print
Popcorn Puppy Chow #SundaySupper
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: Varies
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Place the popcorn kernels in a large paper bag. Fold it down several times and place it in the microwave. Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes. When the popping of the corn slows down, stop it, as it is done.
- Separate the popped corn from the kernels.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter and white chocolate chips. Microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. Stir in the vanilla. Add the popcorn and stir to coat. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and stir until fully coated.
- Popcorn may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper dishes!
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma’s Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu’s Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait Cups by Wallflour Girl
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Nominees for Best Dressed Table:
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
I love the Oscars too. (Hey, maybe I’ll see you there the year I go!) I thought Eddie Redmayne was brilliant too.
Your Puppy Chow looks delicious!
Love the oscars! So hard to watch with kids though 🙁 I’ll just have to make do with this yummy popcorn I guess!
I’m all about the fashion! You’ll have to report back with your favorite ensemble 🙂 And I’d be thrilled to have this puppy chow on my lap while I’m watching!
Yes, for sure – I’ll be Tweeting about my faves too if you want to follow along.
Munch, munch, gone!! I would love this when I am watching tonight’s Oscars!!
DB, Foodie Stuntman | Crazy Foodie Stunts says
WOW! Apparently I don’t get to the movies a lot because I’ve only seen one nominee for Best Picture. This dish would also be good enough to sneak into the theater to watch those nominees.
Haha! Yes, so much better than the movie theater snacks 🙂
Jennie @themessybakerblog says
I love the idea of popcorn in puppy chow. This is genius.
The Ninja Baker says
Oh yummmm, Laura! PB and popcorn? Yes, please! Bet almond butter would taste great, too! P.s. Maybe we can sit together at the Oscars next year….2015 is still young…Never know what can happen this year for both of us, right?
I have never made puppy chow with almond butter, but it certainly seems like it would be great – maybe even better.
I have high hopes for 2015. I felt like Graham Moore’s speech was directed at me. I’m the weird girl that doesn’t fit in. I think I would fit in with the film crowd, so I can’t give up.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
You have just made puppy chow even more addicting! Love it!!
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips says
I would totally not be able to put this bowl down!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
Love the amped up popcorn….Great choice!!
Jennifer Farley says
I would inhale the entire bowl in one sitting! Dangerous stuff 🙂
Valerie Cathell Clark says
I’m afraid I would never stop! Maybe I’ll have to test that theory! This looks crazy yummy!!!xo
It is definitely hard to stop eating this. Thanks, Valerie!
Ruby Red Apron says
I’m amazed by the fact that you’ve watched so many of the nominated films. I haven’t watched any although I do intend to eventually. I’m always behind.
Anyway, I love the sound of this puppy chow popcorn. Perfect movie watching snack! Yum!
I try to see all of the movies every year . . . but I watch a lot after the Oscars air.
Movie-watching would be SO MUCH BETTER if cinemas replaced regular buttered popcorn with this puppy chow! So good.
K / Pure & Complex says
Just wow.. this is the ultimate snack option when watching any award show. Delicious recipe
Oh man, this popcorn puppy chow would be dangeroussss at my house! haha I would have no self control while snacking on it while watching a movie or something!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
I looove NPH but didn’t see any Oscar nominated movies this year *shrug* oh well. I hope you enjoyed it!
And this puppy chow popcorn is so so sooo smart! I wouldn’t be able to stop eating it!
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
I could snack on this anytime!
A treat that would be a hit at any celebration, red carpet or otherwise.
I’ve never had puppy chow before, this looks like one heck of a way to love it!
Oh, Sarah, you have to try puppy chow – it is sooooo good!
Hi Laura: Glad to see you are still creating these wonderful treats! I sure miss sampling them.
Thank you so much for leaving a comment, Hank! I really appreciate it. I wish I could send samples your way. Hope you are doing well 🙂
Julie @ Texan New Yorker says
This looks so amazing, I’d probably plow through the entire bowl before Neil Patrick Harris’ opening number was over!