I know Memorial Day is almost here because we bought our flowers last week. I’m looking at them on the deck as I type this. They are in all the colors of the rainbow, soaking up the morning sun.
I hate to play favorites, because really I love them all, but there is a pink dahlia in the corner that is just gorgeous. Of course, then there are the pansies, hibiscus, petunias … like I said, I hate to play favorites.
Our trip to the garden center almost didn’t happen. Last Friday was a beautiful day, the perfect day to go. Not too hot, not to cold. The garden center was pretty much empty, allowing us to look around without having to fight the crowds.
I really wanted to buy all the flowers. They are just so pretty and the smell is intoxicating. If only we could bottle that smell, especially for the middle of winter when it seems there is no hope left in the world. While we didn’t buy all the flowers, we did a pretty good job.
But the weekend, Mother Nature and I were not on speaking terms. It was so cold that there were wind chills. And hail. And snow. It was gross.
The flowers took cover in the garage and seem to have made it through quite well. Now they are outside, enjoying life and I am thoroughly enjoying their presence.
Since Memorial Day is right around the corner, I wanted to make a patriotic treat. Enter Red, White, and Blueberry Banana Bread. It is soft and moist and packed with banana flavor. The supporting flavors from cherries, blueberries, and white chocolate, totally take this over the top and make is the best banana bread I’ve ever had.
Even better, I baked it in a 9 by 13 to change things up. It is easier to get out of the pan than in a traditional loaf pan and it cut the baking time slightly. This is perfect for breakfast, snack time, or dessert. The whole family will totally love it.
Enjoy everything about summer with this Banana Bread as your go to treat!Print
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 7 large ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugars, oil, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas until well combined. Stir in flour mixture, followed by blueberries, cherries, and white chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet in case it bakes over. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Serve warm or cool completely in pan. Bread may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or frozen in pieces, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the microwave about 1 minute.