- 1 ¾ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded, pod and seeds reserved
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Maldon Sea Salt, for sprinkling
- Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream, corn syrup, salt, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla bean pod. Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer. Once this happens, remove from heat and allow to steep while you prepare the caramel. Remove the vanilla bean pod after a couple minutes, well before the caramel is ready for the cream.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over medium-high heat without stirring until the mixture is deep golden brown. Do not walk away during this process. It may take awhile, but can go from clear to burnt in no time. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cream mixture. Return the pan to medium heat, and stir to dissolve the caramel. Once dissolved, insert a candy thermometer and cook, without stirring, until it reaches 246 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Immediately pour caramel into prepared pan and smooth top. Let cool completely – this take a long time. Remove from pan and cut into pieces. Sprinkle with sea salt and wrap in wax paper. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Saveur
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins