- 6 cups sour cherries, pitted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if you like)
- ¾ cup oat flour (gluten free if you like, all-purpose would work as well)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Allow to sit while you prepare the topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, salt, sugars, cinnamon, and walnuts. Drizzle in the oil and stir until all the ingredients are moistened and crumbs form.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an 8 inch square pan. If the mixture is extra juicy, do not add all the juice. Evenly distribute the crumb mixture over the cherries. Place on a baking sheet, in case the fruit bubbles over during baking. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown. This is best served hot out of the oven, but may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Eat cold or heat in the microwave until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes