- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 4 caramels – homemade or store bought
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 10 cups in a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Make the muffins. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I did this easily by hand, but a hand or stand mixer would work as well. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until once again light and fluffy. Stir in the flour until it is mostly mixed in, then add the milk and mix until a batter is formed. Stir in the dates.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop batter into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup, filling about halfway. Place about a nickel sized piece of caramel on top of the batter. Do not let it touch the sides of the paper liners. Scoop more batter on top of the caramel, filling all the way to the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating halfway through if necessary, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- While the muffins are baking, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, cook sugar, milk, and syrup over medium heat until it comes to a bubble. Allow to cook and bubble for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and allow to sit until muffins come out of the oven.
- Once the muffins and syrup are both done, poke holes all over the tops of the muffins using a toothpick and spoon syrup slowly over them, focusing in the center, but making sure the entire muffin is covered. Serve warm or cool completely in pan. May be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw wrapped in parchment placed on top of foil in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins