- 4 cups strawberries, hulled, halve big ones
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 ¼ tablespoons water
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch mixture in 8 inch square baking dish. Stir to combine and let sit while you prepare the topping and cake.
- Make the topping. In a medium bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter with your fingers until the mixture looks like coarse meal and all ingredients are well distributed.
- Make the cake. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I did this by hand, but a hand or stand mixer would work too. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until once again light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the almond milk. Add the dry ingredients in three installments and the milk in two.
- Pour the cake batter over the strawberries, covering them as entirely as possible. Top with the crumb topping. It should cover most of the cake. Place the baking pan on a sheet tray as it will probably bubble over during baking. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the cake is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Cake may be served immediately, at room temperature or cold. Cake may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, covered.
Recipe adapted from Gerard Craft, courtesy of Food and Wine
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes