It’s no secret school was not a great time for me, but there were moments of greatness. Moments when everything seemed just fine, better even. Moments I don’t want to forget in a sea on ones I wish would vanish.
With mean kids and lackluster, unmotivated teachers, fifth grade was a particularly bad year that made a friend leave the school. But there was a bright spot in one particular thing: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.
While perhaps their star has faded quite a bit, they are actually pretty hard to find in my area with only two out of the way locations, back then, they were king.
Mom and one of the other parents at the school would head to one not too far from campus and pick up I don’t know how many dozens. It must have been about 12. They had buy one get one free cards and I have no doubt enjoyed a doughnut hot off the line.
I don’t remember if it was a special occasion or maybe just a Friday when this happened, but here they would come. Delivering doughnuts not only to my homeroom, but all four fifth grade homerooms.
The doughnuts were delicious. We were all OBSESSED with Krispy Kremes.
Even better was the gratitude from my classmates. I turned from Loser Laura to the cool kid in a flash, being sent home with thank you notes from all four classrooms and being asked when Mom would bring more.
It was nice to be popular, even if it was fleeting. Even more than that, it was nice for all of us to take a few moments to celebrate even a small victory, like making it through the week, with a sweet treat.
Like I said, it’s become rather difficult to find Krispy Kreme’s near me, so I had to buy alternate doughnuts for this Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese, but you will find this to be totally and completely delicious nonetheless.
I mean what’s not to love about a soft glazed doughnut coated in butter, surrounding sharp cheddar cheese, ham, and a poached egg? Nothing, right?
There’s nothing light about this dish, but we all need a splurge now and again. It would also be super fun to cut up and serve at a party as appetizers.
Here’s to doughnuts – they make everything better!Print
- 4 glazed doughnuts, cut in half horizontally
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 thin slices deli ham (I used Hormel Natural Choice Honey Ham)
- 4 eggs, poached or fried
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot add about 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Butter either the cut side or glazed side of 4 doughnut halves and place in the hot skillet. It works either way – I tried both. You can either have the cut side out or the glazed side – it’s up to you.
- Top the halves in the skillet with a generous amount of cheese, 2 slices of ham, and more cheese. Place the other half of the doughnut on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, flip, and cook on the other side an additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Top with a lid if the cheese is not melting fast enough.
- Top with an egg and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper recipes! Thanks to Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting!
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
NOT YOU AVERAGE ‘WICHES
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
PROTEIN FILLED ‘WICHES
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
SWEET AND SAVORY ‘WICHES
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
VEGGIE LOADED ‘WICHES
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.