- 1 pound navy beans, rinsed and soaked in the refrigerator overnight
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 4 large carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 bunch kale, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lemon, for serving
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil and onion. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, stock, and water. Add enough water so that the beans are covered. Keep an eye on the water level to be sure they are covered through the cooking process. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 1 hour, occasionally stirring and skimming the top of the soup.
- Add the carrots and kale and simmer for 15 minutes more. Remove the lid, add salt and pepper, stir to combine and serve with lemon.
- Soup may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the microwave until piping hot.
Additional time for soaking the beans is necessary
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes