When I was nine or ten, I became obsessed with coffee. Perhaps it was a symptom of my deep seeded desire to be an adult or just wanting the warm comfort so many people seemed to enjoy. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t chugging the Folgers from the coffee maker Dad so enjoyed, nor was I drinking the French vanilla from the grocery store that didn’t taste a bit like vanilla.
I loved the sugary, milky drinks from fancy coffee shops that for the most part didn’t taste like coffee in the slightest. While Starbucks would do in a pinch, The Coffee Beanery was my favorite.
At first, I was only allowed a taste or two of white chocolate mocha or peppermint mocha, my favorites. Soon I got to enjoy a beverage all my own, whether with a baby sitter as an after school treat or with Mom and Dad as a weekend reward.
Before long, in addition to those warm drinks, I fell in love with Frappuccinos, especially the Vanilla Bean one. It tasted just like a milkshake! Those drinks and the special times with friends and family they helped create remain fond memories. However, by the time high school rolled around, my fascination had ended. For whatever reason, my coffee days were over.
Sometimes I still crave a warm, comforting drink, especially during this cold winter. I couldn’t think of a better recreation than White Hot Chocolate. The perfect recipe to serve two, Mom and I sat down to our mugs full of happiness after making this dangerously easy recipe. The steaming hot milk is wonderfully flavored with sweet, rich white chocolate and some vanilla bean paste. I love seeing the little vanilla bean specks! A few pink peppermint marshmallows make this the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
White Hot Chocolate #SundaySupper
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 drinks 1x
- 4 cups milk (I used almond, but any kind will work)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Marshmallows, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and white chocolate over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the milk is hot and all of the chocolate has melted. Stir in the vanilla bean paste. Remove from the heat.
- Divide between two mugs and top with marshmallows, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper recipes!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia En Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) says
I haven’t had white hot chocolate in years and years. My son has recently started bugging me for white chocolate so this would make a lovely after kindergarten treat for him. P.S I love your mugs!
I hope you give this a try and love it, Lily! Thanks for your comment!
The Ninja Baker says
Fantabulous Laura! I’ve been eying a white chocolate powder on sale at a neighborhood coffee shop. But, now, I can make my own thanks to you =) P.s. Very pretty photos =)
Thank you so much! I always try very hard with the pics!
Those little pink marshmallows are too cute! White chocolate is a little bit of a weakness for me sometimes, this sounds so good…especially because I’m in freezing NJ weather right now instead of my usual 80 degree FL ha!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
You and I are all about the vanilla bean paste today!
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom says
where on earth did you find pink peppermint mini marshmallows??? LOVE! are these at the grocery store?
They are out around Christmas. They are Jet-Puffed just like the regular ones.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
I need to make this for my Husband! He loves white chocolate and I can only imagine how much he would love this recipe! It’s is so perfect!!
Such pretty hot chocolate with the pink marshmallows on top! Great drink to warm up with on a cold Valentine’s Day or any cold day.
Beautiful & delicious! I’m going to make these for Valentines breakfast! 🙂
I hope you like it! Thanks, Jennifer!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
I loooove all the marshmallows! That is the perfect amount 😉 So glad you get to indulge in such tasty white hot chocolate!
Such a very pretty Valentine’s drink! White hot chocolate is the dreamiest, cosiest thing ever, I love this!
The Wimpy Vegetarian says
What a great idea for Valentine’s for Two for #SS. I wasn’t going to have time to play with #SS this week so I passed. But we’re in the mountains right now with lots of lovely snow and this hot chocolate is perfect!! I have the white chocolate, but not the vanilla bean paste. Can I do a one-for-one sub with vanilla extract?
Absolutely! Vanilla extract will be awesome. I just liked the bean specks. I had never bought vanilla bean paste until recently and it is my new obsession!
John@Kitchen Riffs says
I don’t think I’ve ever had white hot chocolate before. It looks gorgeous! Definitely need to try this — thanks.
Shannon R says
Oh my goodness it is so pretty and delicate looking! Adorable!
Those mugs are the cat’s meow and filled with your delectable hot chocolate they are perfect for Valentine’s Day!!
DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts says
This beverage is very timely: not only for the holiday, but for the weather too! I like those coffee mugs.
This would sure make a yummy breakfast treat for VDay! I hope you have a happy and YUMMY VDay! HUGS
This would make my husband really happy… he LOVES white chocolate! Thank you so much for sharing!
I’m a complete coffee addict. I love the flavor of coffee as well as the specialty coffee treats that don’t taste like coffee anymore. Love how you put vanilla paste into this hot chocolate.
Julie @ This Gal Cooks says
I love that you used almond milk in this! I don’t drink milk anymore because it always bothers me. I always get soy at the coffee shops but I’d like to try almond. Thanks for sharing! PS, love the mugs!
Thanks, Julie! I use almond milk pretty much all the time instead of regular milk. I also love Trader Joe’s Coconut Milk in the carton – it’s a little sweeter without added sugar. The only time I use dairy is butter and heavy cream.
Oh, my. I adore white chocolate…and I think could love this version of hot chocolate even more than the standard! Perfect for Valentine’s Day!!!
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
A very cozy treat to share this time of year! I love those mugs too!
Looks wonderful, my toddler still doesn’t get the concept of hot drinks but she looked over my shoulder when I was reading your post and started jumping up and down shouting “marshmallows” so this would be a hit. 🙂
Haha! Marshmallows make everything better 😀
Julie @ Texan New Yorker says
This sounds fabulous! So unique to use white chocolate instead of the usual. Oh, and those coffee mugs are so awesome, I love them!
Thank you so much, Julie!
My best friend drank gallons of White Hot Chocolate while we were growing up… I got all nostalgic!
You should make a batch of this to bring you back to the old days 🙂
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes says
I don’t know hot chocolate but this I can get behind!! LOVE white chocolate!
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes says
p.s. LOVE these mugs!
I can’t live without my morning cup of coffee…but I can also get pretty excited about hot chocolate! Love this white hot chocolate version! Such a fun twist.
Layla @ Brunch Time Baker says
I need to make this ASAP! I just love white chocolate but never thought of using it in hot chocolate!
Alycia Tomaino says
I love those mugs! Where are they from?
Thanks, Alycia! They are by Villeroy and Boch.
It never occurred to me to use white chocolate for hot chocolate. Excited to try this. Hope I can find those pink marshmallows.
Amy (Savory Moments) says
I love homemade hot chocolate and these marshmallows make this a perfect Valentine’s Day treat!
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats says
Oh yum Laura! I have never had a white hit chocolate!! I must try 🙂 XOXO
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice says
Yes please…let’s make this happen tomorrow morning!!!
This looks delicious! I can’t wait to make this for the kids…and me too 🙂
Kim | The Baking ChocolaTess says
I love hot chocolate, so I’m sure I’d love white hot chocolate! Love the pink! 🙂 Perfect for Valentine’s Day!!
I love white hot chocolate, this sounds amazing and perfect for Valentines Day (or any day, really). Those pink peppermint marshmallows are everything!!!
Amy (Savory Moments) says
Mmmmm this sounds really good and I like how you used vanilla bean paste! Extra flavor and the specks!
Vanilla bean paste is one of my favorite ingredients. If you can’t see the vanilla, sometimes I feel like you can’t taste it either.