When I was nine or ten, I became obsessed with coffee. Perhaps it was a symptom of my deep seeded desire to be an adult or just wanting the warm comfort so many people seemed to enjoy. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t chugging the Folgers from the coffee maker Dad so enjoyed, nor was I drinking the French vanilla from the grocery store that didn’t taste a bit like vanilla.
I loved the sugary, milky drinks from fancy coffee shops that for the most part didn’t taste like coffee in the slightest. While Starbucks would do in a pinch, The Coffee Beanery was my favorite.
At first, I was only allowed a taste or two of white chocolate mocha or peppermint mocha, my favorites. Soon I got to enjoy a beverage all my own, whether with a baby sitter as an after school treat or with Mom and Dad as a weekend reward.
Before long, in addition to those warm drinks, I fell in love with Frappuccinos, especially the Vanilla Bean one. It tasted just like a milkshake! Those drinks and the special times with friends and family they helped create remain fond memories. However, by the time high school rolled around, my fascination had ended. For whatever reason, my coffee days were over.
Sometimes I still crave a warm, comforting drink, especially during this cold winter. I couldn’t think of a better recreation than White Hot Chocolate. The perfect recipe to serve two, Mom and I sat down to our mugs full of happiness after making this dangerously easy recipe. The steaming hot milk is wonderfully flavored with sweet, rich white chocolate and some vanilla bean paste. I love seeing the little vanilla bean specks! A few pink peppermint marshmallows make this the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
- 4 cups milk (I used almond, but any kind will work)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Marshmallows, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and white chocolate over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the milk is hot and all of the chocolate has melted. Stir in the vanilla bean paste. Remove from the heat.
- Divide between two mugs and top with marshmallows, if desired. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to check out the other Sunday Supper recipes!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia En Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.