If you read my blog frequently, then you probably know a few things about me, one of which is that I hate winter. Really, I can’t stand it. The thought alone makes me want to build a blanket fort and crawl under it, not coming out until it’s spring.
As I write this, it is rather spring like (thanks, El Nino!). The sun is shining in a cloudless blue sky and the temperature is in the 60s. Too bad the wind is so strong it literally may blow me over. Still it’s better than last February.
Other than pretending it’s nice out, dreaming of moving, and looking at pictures of sunnier, warmer days, fruit is a great way to get a feel for summer in the dead of winter.
My Winter Fruit Salad is the perfect way to get that summer vibe going. Match a bowl of this, and enjoy it, maybe with your eyes closed and thoughts of flowers and beaches rolling through your mind.
While I will always take fruit as it is, I jazzed this salad up with a quick dressing, toasted coconut, and candied ginger. It only took about ten minutes to make and is best made ahead of time and allowed to chill so all the flavors marry. Make this on Sunday and enjoy it throughout the week on oatmeal, as a snack, or even as dessert with some ice cream.
I’m already feeling summer vibes, and you will be too as soon as you make this salad!
Winter Fruit Salad #SundaySupper
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 navel or honeybell oranges, peeled and split into segments
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- ¼ cup candied ginger, diced
- In a medium bowl, stir together lemon, honey, and vanilla. Add oranges, mango, and blueberries. Stir until well combined. Fold in the coconut and ginger.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight for best flavor. Salad may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Recipe is easily doubled or tripled
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressingfrom Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Love the colors!! This looks amazing!!!
Cathleen @ A Taste Of Madness says
What a delicious looking fruit salad! This looks amazing!
Such a lovely salad. The candied ginger is such a wonderful addition! P.S. I’m SO with you about winter!
Tammi @Momma's Meals says
What a fabulous way to enjoy a good Fruit Salad! I must try this because I bet my kids would love it.
Love that you added candied ginger, beautiful salad.
Marcelle/ A Little Fish in the Kitchen says
Your light dressing for this salad sounds perfect! Have to try it! Beautiful winter fruit salad 🙂
Melanie @ Melanie Cooks says
I love fruit salad! This looks so delicious, happy and colorful!
Love the color in this salad! I love ginger and I can’t wait to try this dressing.
Thank you, Monica!
Debbie Eccard says
That looks so great! With all the fruit I eat, this would be a great way to jazz it up. Thanks.
What a wonderful winter fruit salad, I love the unique combination you have. This is perfect and I keeping this for a brunch when needed, thank you!
I love the addition of candied ginger- perfect for a Sunday brunch salad!
John/Kitchen Riffs says
Sigh. It was over 70 degrees a few days ago, but woke up to snow today. Yuck! Anyway, love dishes like this — so cheerful and flavorful. Really nice — thanks.
Lynne @ MyGourmetConnection says
What a great fruit salad – I love honeybell oranges!
Me too – honeybells are my favorite! Thanks, Lynne!
Sue Lau says
You had me at candied ginger!